This 45-minute video explains the role of Kata in modifying an organization’s culture. Practicing the ‘starter routines’ of the Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata is a way of learning how to set and accomplish any challenging objective. Below are links mentioned in the video, including how to download the pptx slides for free.
(Video was captured at the Lean Healthcare Conference in Quebec City, Canada on May 28, 2015.)
• Neuroplasticity Cartoon:
• One Coaching Cycle:
• Toyota Kata Website:
• Kata in the Classroom Website:
• The pptx slides from this video can be downloaded free at: https://tinyurl.com/LeanMgmtKata (12MB) (tinyurl.com/LeanMgmtKata)
========== For Educators ==========
This video can be used to provide background content for ‘pre-review’ online, prior to classroom or practice activities. Here’s how to do it:
1) Have your Learners watch the video on their own time before a classroom or practice activity. Tell the Learners to write down what they think are the key points of the video. Advise the Learners that there will be a quiz and that they may be called upon.
2) Before the classroom/practice activity you (teacher/Coach) should also write down what you think are the key points in the video.
3) Begin the class/practice session by asking Learners what they got out of the video. Write their responses on a flipchart or whiteboard. This helps you see how the Learners are currently thinking. Key points that Learners miss are things you can emphasize in your instruction and coaching.