This video gives a useful summary of the Toyota Kata research and explains what the Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata are about.
This presentation was made at the HEC Montréal Business School on November 3, 2015.
– The PowerPoint slides from this presentation can be downloaded at: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mrothe…
– For a more detailed description of the Toyota Kata Research go to: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mrother/KATA_Files/Rother_TK_Research.pptx
– The “Five Question Card,” the “IK/CK Practice Guide” and a set of IK/CK Powerpoint Slides can be downloaded at: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mrothe…
– The BJ Fogg video can also be viewed on YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfAQ8…
This video can be used to provide some Improvement Kata / Coaching Kata background content for ‘pre-review’ online, prior to classroom or practice activities. Here’s how to do it:
1) Have your Learners watch the video on their own time before a classroom or practice activity. Tell the Learners to write down what they think are the key points of the video. Tell the Learners that there will be a quiz and that they may be called upon.
2) You (teacher/Coach) should also write down what you think are the key points in the video *before* the classroom/practice activity.
3) Begin the class/practice session by asking Learners what they got out of the video. Write their responses on a flipchart or board. This will help you see how the Learners are currently thinking. The key points that the Learners miss are things you can emphasize in your subsequent instruction and coaching.